In the past few decades, society as a whole has become more concerned with the environment, and as a result many households have decided to “go green” in an attempt to reduce their ecological footprint while taking care of their everyday business. For some, making a lifestyle change of this magnitude can seem rather difficult, but there are several small steps you can take in order to ease into green living as a whole. The top 8 ways for you to make your house a more green-friendly space include:
- Watch your energy usage. This means turning off your lights when you’re not in a room, and perhaps keeping your thermostat a few degrees higher or lower depending on the season.
- Conserve water. Taking shorter showers, turning off the faucet when you’re brushing your teeth and washing only full loads of clothes are some simple ways to accomplish this particular goal.
- Adjust your diet. The meat industry creates a huge footprint on the environment, and adding just one vegetarian or vegan night per week to your menu can make a huge difference with energy expenditure.
- Consider biking or walking rather than driving whenever possible. The reduces use of gas not only helps make the environment healthier, but you and your family as well.
- Don’t create unnecessary waste with disposable water bottles. If using these bottles is an absolute must, be sure to recycle responsibly.
- Rather than buying everything, borrow items whenever you can. This includes borrowing books from libraries rather than purchasing them and renting equipment and even furniture from a business.
- When you do need to purchase goods like clothes and food, act smart about it. Purchase in bulk, buy long-lasting, high-quality products and take other precautions to ensure your investment’s a good one.
- When it comes to cleaning supplies, there’s nothing quite as “green” as making your own from more organic supplies. It’s cost-efficient and eliminates many of the dangerous chemicals in store-bought supplies.
These are some excellent, simple ways to make your household green in the coming months.